In Which a Little Cheating is... Exposed

... If you'll forgive me for the pun. Which you won't, because it's entirely deserved for what I've done here. In my defense, it started out as a perfectly normal multiple-exposure shoot, until I came face-to-face with a small but significant problems: folks, it turns out that the moon moves. After a little thinking, I decided to try a slightly... uh, creative approach to get the detail I wanted in my shoot. The technique itself still needs some revision, but it allowed me to salvage the shoot into a result I'm actually rather happy with.


Now, my preferred multiple-exposure techniques thus far has consisted of three "layers", one for the subject, one for extra detail (in this shoot, it was the foreground), and finally the lighting that I wanted- a process that usually took between ten and twenty exposures to capture all the detail I wanted to work with.



My original plan was thus, but I quickly realized that in order to get the exposure times needed for the foreground, moonlight would bleed through all of the scene, rendering any detail a disappointing blur, albeit a slightly colorful one. Furthermore, such a long exposure created an oblong-shaped moon (as below- and the was the shortest time in the group), meaning that multi-exposure recombination would be near impossible. 


Next, I considered capturing the foreground with my (somewhat, f1.8) low-light lens, but the background would still require my f6 lens in order to separate the layers via focus, and trying to merge the two resulted in what I assume to be lens distortion artifacts. However, despite the imperfections, I found that the image produced was quite... artistic, although surely lacking in detail.

Multiple exposures revealed the foreground's silhouette, but the detail on the moon still eluded me. So, how'd I get the detail seen in the final shot? That very question, my friends, inspired "Fighting Noise at an Astronomical Scale", which turned out to be the somewhat taboo "fourth exposure" composed into the scene from an entirely different angle.
No regrets.

Comments