Should've brought my fishing pole...

6 Exposure, f1.8 - f4.6, ND and CPL filters, exposure time 1/320 - 4
In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have gone for this shot after hiking a mountain and forgetting my lunch, because I was about to regret not bringing swimming trunks and a speargun. All I ended up shooting was my camera, which didn't do much to help my growling stomach (although I'm pretty sure it scared off any bears along the way), but it gave me a chance to experience the wonders of a CPL filter and explore a more artful process of exposure composition.

In my previous photo, The Lone Tree, I experimented with using the tripod's lack of stability to my advantage- this technique's use here was more subtle, but it went a long way to my goal of a watercolor-like photo with a touch of inverisimilitude. To accomplish this, the misaligned exposures were difference'd and processed into a relative depth map, differentiated, and then used to multiply the base exposures.

For my trouble, I arrived at a photograph with exaggerated (pseudo) ambient occlusion, and subtle edge highlights. The next step was to change the weighting I normally used to blend the overexposure and base layers, increasing the saturation and value transfer, resulting in a photo not quite realistic, but eye-catching nonetheless.

Comments